14/05/2008

Sound of the Dojo

Yesterday I had the opportunity to just sit and listen to the sounds in the dojo. I had exhausted all my energy about 5 minutes before we finished and felt the need to sit down so as not to fall over.
So I sat and watched, and listened. There was an almost rhythmic flow to the stamping and shouting. Sometimes everyone would be fighting all at once, and then, suddenly, silence would descend for a brief period.

I have also noticed that at both dojos no one ever speaks aloud to everyone, no instructions, no commands, no endless talking. The only time anyone talks is when we are all lined up and someone has an important notice to share, which I can never understand anyway.

Everyone simply practices kendo, and the teachers sometimes tell the student what can be improved upon.

We learn by doing kendo, not by talking about it.

No comments: